This research was last edited on 2010/07/16 which never got published 😦
There are six primary algorithms that the software requires for identifying a licence plate:
- Plate localisation – responsible for finding and isolating the plate on the picture.
- Plate orientation and sizing – compensates for the skew of the plate and adjusts the dimensions to the required size.
- Normalisation – adjusts the brightness and contrast of the image.
- Character segmentation – finds the individual characters on the plates.
- Optical character recognition.
- Syntactical/Geometrical analysis – check characters and positions against country-specific rules.