I just wanted to have google video chat with my friend and found that my ubuntu box with 10.04 is unable to do that. I installed the google talk plugin and it had its limitations. so I folded my sleeves and this is how I made voice (mic and speaker) and video work on my box.
- check if you have pulseaudio installed.
- create a startup app for pulseaudio
- goto system -> preferences -> startup applicaitons
- make sure you are in “startup programs” tab
- click on add button and enter values as below:
- If you mic and speaker work congrats.
- try System -> preferences -> sound : if you dont get any message saying waiting of sound device then your settings are correct
- once you open sound preferences go to “input” tab check if mute is selected.
- if you find mute is selected then uncheck it and you mic and speaker will work
- if dont find the input option enabled then go ahead
- open “/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf” file with sudo permissions in your favorite editor.
- add a line “options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1” at the end of the file
- save and restart your system.
- go back to sound preferences and you will find input device tab to be available and default setting should work fine,else tweak around selecting connector.
credits and refrences: